[blindeudora] Re: fresh copy of Eudora

  • From: dudleym@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 08:01:02 +0100

You could use the dir command within the cmd box.
Easier if you do this using the files on your thumbdrive if you don't know how to change directories or drives within the cmd box.

windowskey-r for run
type cmd
type the letter and a : for your thumbdirve ie F:
This will get you to the root of your "F" drive

type dir /b > dir.txt

This will pipe a list of folders and filenames to a file called dir.txt on your "f" drive

Note: This will not give a list of files within the folders of the current drive or folder you are in, os if your in the qualcomm folder it will not list files within the eudora folder that is within the qualcomm folder

To change folders within the "F" drive type cd <foldername> ie. cd qualcomm and press enter
~This will place you within the qualcomm folder on your "F" drive. To change into your eudora folder from the qualcomm folder type cd eudora and press enter

The dir.txt is automatically created within the folder you are in at the time of execution of the command.

Hope this helps, this is from my old DOS days.

Martin

Bud Schwab recently said:-

Hi Danny,
I tried sending the list of files in the Eudora file but it wouldn't take them saying they were directories and couldn't be sent. So I tried sending the folder with the files in it but with the same results. I'm not sure how I could send them. That was a great idea however so you could see them all.
Thanks anyway.
BudAt 12:24 PM 8/13/2015, you wrote:
Bud -

You may be able to install Eudora as you are suggesting below, but that method could also cause difficulties. Is it possible for you to somehow send a listing of the files currently in your Eudora directory? That would allow me to tell you exactly which ones belong in each of the directories on the new system.

At the least, if you do try to install as you are now proposing, make sure you do not delete anything from your old installation or the thumb drive until the new installation is fully installed and working as it should.

Furthermore ....

At 09:30 AM 8/13/2015, Bud Schwab wrote:
.....I'll just try to paste and copy the whole folder even though I'm sure it has more files than it should have, about 130 files.

Actually, 130 files is not that many files, particularly if you have mixed the program and the data files in the same directory.

Several mailboxes have three or four .mbx files. Don't know why so many but am afraid to delete any of them.

Since each mailbox is specifically defined by a single MBX and a single TOC file, no one mailbox can have multiple MBX files. Your definitely do not want to delete any of these files, but we should figure out just which mailboxes each of the files is assiciated with. Can you send the full file names of each MBX file?

Dan, you asked the version. It's 7.1.0.9.

Good, that is the latest available.

Anyway, can I just copy the Eudora folder onto a thumb drive and then copy it to the new computer?

Again, maybe, but this is not recommended until we know just which files are in the directory you are talking about.

If I get into trouble trying to do the transfer I may be back again looking for help.

If it would work better for you, we can set a time to talk directly about your installation problem, whether on the air, or by phone. Let me know if you would like to do this.

-Danny.
W6SO

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora

Bud Schwab