[blind-internet-tv] An Update on my ROKU

  • From: Chime Hart <chime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-internet-tv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 19:25:34 -0700

Well, back in December Roku introduced some accessibility. When I purchased this, we had to upgrade to version 7.5 which had speech, but after ignoring the unit for maybe 2 hours, it would drop back to an early non-speech version. From doing some reading, looks like ROKU withdrew this update. Anyway, after several months, I am playing with this, speech is stable, somewhat better voice than a demo which was posted in December. There are obvious differences among ROKU and my Apple TVs. As an example, much more of a news section in ROKU is taken up by local news channels here in the States.
What I really wanna know, is their a community similar to folks who crateek apps on an Apple? As an example, if I launch either CNN or Youtube, I hear no speech, also, I think NBC-News. On a positive note, streams seem to be more stable than an Apple TV. Thanks so much in advance
Chime