[blind-democracy] Re: Republican Leadership? Face It, That's an Oxymoron!

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:20:03 -0400

When I was actually forced to listen to pieces of the debate on Democracy
Now, I was horrified and hearing what those people said, really scared the
hell out of me. To listen to what Trump and the others said about Muslims
and Obama, the vitriole, the lies, the threats! I do blame CNN for not
interjecting reality when Trump again said that Obama isn't an American and
that he is a Muslim and when someone else said, "they're building training
camps for a war on Christians". And this monstrous lie about the doctored
Planned Parenthood video when these people have done the same exact thing
before and defunded ACORN. Yes, our government is now habitually lying to
us aboutthe wars. But those Republican candidates, pitching to the lowest of
the low with racism and lies and no one saying a word on Cable while it's
happening! It is beyond the pale. This Islamiphobia is inexcuseable and it
appears to be getting worse as the wars continue. One of the last adoptive
families I worked with in 2007 consisted of a man whose family emigrated
here from Egypt when he was a child and who is Muslim and an FBI agent, and
his wife, an American midwesterner who converted to Islam when she married
him. This is a typical American story. But they are Muslims and to those
insane candidates, just part of an enemy fifth column.

#2, spends about a third as much as the US spends on its military. The
US is alone in the world in spending more than half its discretionary
federal budget on its military. Currently that comes to $610 billion a
year. That's more than the combined military budgets of China, Russia,
Saudi Arabia, France, United Kingdom, India, and Germany. (A different
calculation puts US military spending at $711 billion a year, more
than the military budgets of the nextthirteen countries' military
budgets combined.) Looked at another way, the US accounted for 39% of
all the world's military spending in 2012, while the combined military
spending of Iran, Syria, and North Korea was less than 1% of the
global total.
US military spending has more than doubled since 9/11. During the same
period, US military has participated in the longest war in US history
and several others (some ongoing), having won none of them and having
little prospect of winning any soon. Judging by recent experience, the
military option is not only too expensive, but almost entirely
ineffective.
And yet Republicans (and many Democrats) want more and more military,
and they want it for no articulable purpose, they want it because they
want it, and it polls well. (There is also a longstanding, specious
argument about military decay due to the decline of military spending
as a percentage of GDP, and the like, none of which changes the
reality that the military has been expensive and all but useless -
unless one argues the likely truth that using the military option has
cost more and caused more devastation than just doing nothing would
have cost.) Anyone here against more war? Nope.
Never mind any of that. The eleven Republicans in the recent debate
all spoke up in 60-second soundbite answers to a simpleminded
question, saying that they were all for more military, and more
military adventurism (though some were somewhat less aggressively
adventurous than others). That's Republican leadership, lockstep for
more war, with some difference of opinion on how much more war. Taking
the prize for maximum hawk among the lesser hawks was Carly Fiorina
(whose looks got almost as much debate time as militarism):
Russia is a bad actor, but Vladimir Putin is someone we should not
talk to, because the only way he will stop is to sense strength and
resolve on the other side, and we have all of that within our control.
We could rebuild the Sixth Fleet. I will. We haven't. We could rebuild
the missile defense program. We haven't. I will. We could also, to
Senator Rubio's point, give the Egyptians what they've asked for,
which is intelligence. We could give the Jordanians what they've asked
for-bombs and materiel. We have not supplied it.. I will. We could arm
the Kurds. They've been asking us for three years. All of this is
within our control.
None of the ten men on the stage with Fiorina took serious issue with
any of this. When the moderator asked about the recent Russian
increase of its military presence in Syria, he framed it as "a threat
to our national security" and he omitted Putin's call for talks. No
one corrected this deceptive spin, much less did anyone suggest that
talking to your adversaries was at least as useful as talking to your
friends. No one asked how Fiorina planned to pay for this military
expansion, nor even how many billions she thought it would cost. And
no one pointed out that arming the Kurds, whose diaspora reaches into
Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran, looked like a really good way to get a
much bigger war going in the region, which is maybe her point.
Rand Paul came the closest to sort of opposing more militarism,
pointing out that he would talk to Russia and China and Iran. He
reminded people that he had opposed the Iraq War and American
involvement in Syria's civil war.
Unlike others, Paul said: "I don't think we need to be reckless."
America's war on drugs creates more Republican ambivalence Rand Paul
expressed outright opposition to the war on drugs, as he has for some
time, pointing out that the war on drugs is effectively a war on poor
people and a war on people of color. He argued that the federal
government should have no role in drug law enforcement, that under the
Tenth Amendment to the Constitution that role properly belongs to the
states, leaving them free to experiment as Colorado is doing (under
the shadow of federal intervention). Paul also nailed Jeb Bush, who
admits to smoking marijuana, as one of those privileged white kids who
never had to worry about going to jail (any more than his drug-using
brother George did).
Fiorina supported Paul on the drug war. Last May, in a conference call
with reporters promoting her book, she said: "Drug addiction shouldn't
be criminalized." But she said saying that smoking marijuana was like
drinking a beer was a bad message, and that marijuana now was not the
same as it was 40 years ago, which drew strong laughter from the
California audience.
Fiorina referred to the story of her step-daughter in her book, where
she spoke of not seeing the signs of the step-daughter's addiction
until it killed her at age 34. Fiorina did not make any connection to
her step-daughter's going into rehab three times and working in a
pharmaceutical sales job. Nor did she make any connection between her
step-daughter's situation and her never being arrested or jailed.
When it came to the war on Planned Parenthood, the other half of the
Republicans' two-point consensus, Fiorina was on the front line,
firing wildly. She was not alone, Planned Parenthood was named 23
times in all by her and others. She linked attacking Planned
Parenthood to attacking Iran, the first as a defense of national
character, the second as a defense of national security. Then she
cited a controversial, spurious videotape and demagogued it shamelessly,
reaping sustained applause:
As regards Planned Parenthood, anyone who has watched this videotape -
I dare Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama to watch these tapes. Watch a
fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking,
while someone says we have to keep it alive to harvest its brain. This
is about the character of our nation, and if we will not stand up and
force President Obama to veto this bill, shame on us.
No one at the debate pointed out that the videotape in question was
attached to a faked tape indicting Planned Parenthood falsely. No one
pointed out that no one knows where the video with the fetus came from
or what it actually shows or who is speaking on it. And no one pointed
out that Planned Parenthood has adamantly denied the accusations of
harvesting. So Fiorina was demonstrating her presidential ability to
attack with as much solid evidence as George Bush used to go to war on
Iraq.
Republican candidates: is there any there there?
Given the conventional wisdom about Donald Trump being a showman
without qualification to be President, even though he's the leading
candidate in the polls by far, one might have expected at least one of
the other Republicans to try a more substantial tactic, like appearing
to be the grown-up in the room. Maybe some did try, but none
succeeded, since being the grown-up requires the willingness to
confront reality honestly and that was rare in this debate.
Perhaps the most hilarious detachment from reality was when Jeb Bush
said of his brother the former President: "He kept us safe." Hello,
Jeb? Your brother was in charge when 9/11 happened, your brother chose
to take no action when briefed of the imminence of an attack on the
US, your brother didn't keep us safe before 9/11 (when the information
needs was available but unconnected), and your brother has hardly made
us more safe since 9/11.
George Bush squandered thousands of innocent lives and trillions of
tax dollars for the sake of strutting puffed up on an aircraft
carrier. George Bush took a budget surplus and turned it into a series
of devastating deficits that have ballooned the national debt to the
point where a former chairman if the joint chiefs of staff called it
"the most significant threat to our national security."
He did not keep us safe, ever.
In a far less serious moment, Fiorina and Trump exchanged accusations
that the other was an atrocious business person and a bad manager. No
factual basis was introduced to measure the insults. The likelihood
seems to be that they were both right.
The absence of any sensible, engaged discussion of what to do about
climate change (not all the candidates are outright deniers) provoked
some funny comments on the twitternet. One featured Marco Rubio's
comment, "America is not a planet."
For all their faults, and their absence of strengths, none of the
candidates was as baldly unwilling to treat the selection of the next
President seriously as CNN. There is no excuse for CNN asking silly,
irrelevant, insubstantial questions. There is no excuse for CNN not
asking questions about the important priorities of our time. And in
this day and age, there is no excuse for CNN not fact-checking in real
time, and holding the candidates to account (they don't all tell the
truth all the time). Maybe media responsibility would make no
difference, but we can't know till it's tried.
Meanwhile, early, unofficial, and unscientific returns after the
debate show Trump farther in the lead than ever. The almost instant
Drudge poll results put Trump at 53%, followed by Fiorina at 21%. Way
behind them at 6% are Ted Cruz and Rubio, then Rand Paul and Ben
Carson at 4%. At the bottom, with 1% or less, are Bush, Chris
Christie, John Kasich, Scott Walker, and Mike Huckabee.
Another unreliable real world indicator, the tweet count, also shows
Trump with an overwhelming overall lead by one measure. An assessment
of the debate in Forbes finds Fiorina and Ben Carson in a virtual
twitter tie, with Trump a distant third and the rest much farther
back. International Business Times also scored it for Fiorina, with
John Kasich second.
Some of this is the result of self-fulfilling prophecy, as CNN managed
to give Trump the frontrunner more time than anyone else. Surely
there's good reason and many methods for CNN to give the impression of
fairness and neutrality by giving candidates close to equal time.
About an hour into the debate, Bernie Sanders tweeted: "War, war, war.
When do we get to their other major priority: tax breaks for
billionaires?"
Hillary Clinton tweeted in Spanish about the right to speak any
language in the US.
This debate didn't get to tax breaks for billionaires, and there was
no question about that issue, so people could be left with the
impression that these Republicans might at least be willing to let the
rich suffer in their present condition. And if the majority of
Americans end up believing enough things that are not true, the
Republicans will win the presidency in a walk.

William M. Boardman has over 40 years experience in theatre, radio,
TV, print journalism, and non-fiction, including 20 years in the
Vermont judiciary. He has received honors from Writers Guild of
America, Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Vermont Life magazine,
and an Emmy Award nomination from the Academy of Television Arts and
Sciences.
Reader Supported News is the Publication of Origin for this work.
Permission
to republish is freely granted with credit and a link back to Reader
Supported News.
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. Error! Hyperlink reference not
valid.

http://readersupportednews.org/http://readersupportednews.org/
Republican Leadership? Face It, That's an Oxymoron!
By William Boardman, Reader Supported News
18 September 15
Polls suggest America might elect a joke as President aking fun of the
#2, spends about a third as much as the US spends on its military. The

http://e-max.it/posizionamento-siti-web/socialize
http://e-max.it/posizionamento-siti-web/socialize