[blind-democracy] New Subject - Regime Change - Yes or No

  • From: "R. E. Driscoll Sr" <llocsirdsr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 12:24:20 -0600

All

I came across the following article by Gerald F. Seib and it jogged my thoughts and I came to the conclusion that this concept is something that has bothered me for years. It certainly is important in my opinion.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/election-2016/SS-2-738144/

Regime Change, Good or Bad? The Question Splits the Parties

Voters get black-and-white glimpse of where candidates stand

Campaign 2016 is doing the nation a favor by crystallizing candidates’ views on a big but unresolved question that has hung over American foreign policy since the 9/11 terror attacks: Is America better off trying to change dangerous governments, or living with and containing them?

By Gerald F. Seib

In its own inchoate way, Campaign 2016 is doing the nation a favor by crystallizing candidates’ views on a big but unresolved question that has hung over American foreign policy since the 9/11 terror attacks: Is America better off trying to change unfriendly and dangerous governments, or living with and containing them?

This question does't’t merely bedevil the nation’s policy makers. It now splits both parties, as last week’s Republican and Democratic debates showed. Standing firmly on the anti-regime-change side are Democratic Sen. Bernie Sanders and Republican Sen. Rand Paul, joined to some extent by GOP candidates Sen. Ted Cruz and Donald Trump. Good luck finding anything else on which they agree.

The immediate cause of this debate is Syrian President Bashar al-Assad: Should the U.S. be trying to unseat him, so that everyone can then focus efforts on destroying the Islamic State, or ISIS, caliphate that’s been established on Syrian territory? Or has recent history shown that throwing out thugs and dictators like him merely opens the doors for the kind of chaos that sucks in American troops and creates problems worse than the ones the U.S. was trying to solve?

But this is hardly an argument about Syria alone. It is about whether the U.S. made matters better or worse in the Middle East, and in the broader fight against Islamic extremism, by launching an invasion to oust Iraq’s Saddam Hussein; whether the region is better or worse off without strongmen Hosni Mubarak of Egypt and Moammar Gadhafi of Libya to keep things stable; and whether regime change should be the goal of American policy in Iran.

This may sound like a repeat of the debate over the realpolitik approach that Henry Kissinger and others took in the 1970s. The essence of realpolitik was that the U.S. should live and even work with unsavory characters if doing so served America’s national interests.

But the new debate over regime change is different in one important respect. The argument over realpolitik was in many ways a moral one: Did the U.S. have an obligation to try to force out, say, tin-pot dictators in Latin America who committed human-rights abuses yet served American interests by standing against the spread of communism?

The debate about regime change today is less about morality than about practical results. Those supporting regime change are arguing less that it’s the morally correct stand, but rather that getting rid of hated dictators who are feeding extremist anger through their brutality enhances stability and therefore American interests in the long run. The thugs, the argument goes, are merely sitting on kegs of dynamites that will explode with greater force the longer they stay there.

Those who are against regime change argue that the stability those dictators provide is better for American interests than the leap into the unknown, and the resentment that arises within the local populace, when American force is used to expel them. To these skeptics, the chaos in Libya today and the bloody, decade-long occupation of Iraq illustrate that the dangers in regime change are real, while the rewards can be illusory. Better to keep the dictators in their box than to open Pandora’s box by ousting them.

That argument was made forcefully in last week’s Republican debate by Sen. Ted Cruz: “Assad is a bad man. Gadhafi was a bad man. Mubarak had a terrible human-rights record. But they were assisting us—at least Gadhafi and Mubarak—in fighting radical Islamic terrorists. And if we topple Assad, the result will be ISIS will take over Syria, and it will worsen U.S. national-security interests.”

Mr. Trump declared that “we can’t be fighting Assad. And when you’re fighting Assad, you are fighting Russia, you’re fighting a lot of different groups.”

Mr. Paul was more succinct: “Regime change hasn’t won. Toppling secular dictators in the Middle East has only led to chaos and the rise of radical Islam.” He was echoed by Mr. Sanders in the Democratic debate, who portrayed regime change as an area of sharp disagreement with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: “I worry too much that Secretary Clinton is too much into regime change and a little bit too aggressive without knowing what the unintended consequences might be.”

The counter-argument was summarized in the Republican debate by Sen. Marco Rubio: “Assad is one of the main reasons why ISIS even exists to begin with,” he said. His brutality toward Sunni Muslims within Syria “led to the chaos which allowed ISIS to come in and take advantage of that situation and grow more powerful.”

The U.S., argued Mrs. Clinton, has to try to do two things simultaneously, “work with the tough men, the dictators, for our own benefit, and promote democracy.”

That’s a tough road, she noted. This campaign illustrates that, in a messy world of shifting alliances, there is no consensus on how to travel it.

*Write to *Gerald F. Seib at jerry.seib@xxxxxxx <http://stream.wsj.com/story/election-2016/SS-2-738144/>

R. E. (Dick) Driscoll, Sr.

---