[blind-democracy] Re: FW: After You DB82661

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 16:30:47 -0500

The only authentic accents are those of narrators of commercial books. In
the past, NLS had some narrators with authentic British accents. Some of
them are being mentioned in posts on BARD Talk this afternoon. And one or
two, like Guy Sorrell, could produce an authentic French accent if he chose.
But the others are put on. I don't understand why accents are thought to
improve the experience of reading a book. If one were reading the print
version, or the braille version, for that matter, there would be no accent.
You know what country you're in or the nationality of the character, from
the text. As for authentic accents, they're difficult to understand, and
they're particularly difficult to understand if one's hearing is somewhat
impaired. NLS is supposed to be serving blind and disabled people, and the
majority of its patrons are elderly. Therefore, NLS should be concerned that
the books are easily understandable to all its patrons. There's a novel
called Americanah about a Nigerian woman who emigrates to the US. I bought
it from Audible because, at the time, it wasn't on BARD. It was narrated by
an African woman who had a British accent. But she read all the characters'
dialogue with authentic, very heavy African accents, and she changed the
pitch of her voice for different characters. It drove me crazy. I couldn't
hear a good part of it. I returned it to Audible and got the Bookshare
version which was a total relief to listen to. Then, the following year, the
book appeared on BARD, narrated by an NLS narrator. I haven't heard this
version, but I have heard this particular person do books with African
accents before, and I know that I would have no difficulty understanding
her. However, I see no point in the use of these accents. I want to read the
book and the most feasible way to do that is to listen to it. But I want
listening to be as easy and as close to reading the print, as possible. And
the fact is that even Kendra cannot read certain things appropriately like
foreign words or the sh sound that someone makes to quiet someone else down.
When you listen to Kendra, you have to do some translating in your head and
also, make allowances for bits of skipped text. And you have to pay very
close attention because she doesn't always pause appropriately between
sections or chapters of books. So reading tts is not really closer to
reading print than a good competent human narrator.