[blind-chess] Re: Tournaments? was: Friendly game list

  • From: Chris Chaffin <cchaffin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:53:36 -0400

Hi Richard and all,

I enjoy tournaments, and would be happy to play in them.
I agree with you, I like the ladder tournament.  And since our group is still
small, this might be the best for us at the moment.

One question though...
A system will have to be created to know who is suppose to be white and who is
suppose to be black in the game.  Like the first time two people play, the
higher person on the ladder gets to be white.  After that, if those two people
play again, then they switch and the other person gets to be white.  Basically,
after a first game between two people, they will just take turns after that.

My next favorite tournament is the double round robin tournament.
I like this tournament because you face off with each opponent from each side
of the board, once being white and once being black.

Chris

---- R Dinger <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Hi Alvin,

In a double round robin, you play each opponent twice--once as White and once
as Black.

In a single round robin, you play each opponent once and an attempt is made to
"roughly" balance the number of times each player plays each color.

In a Swiss style tournament, a list of players is sorted by rating and those in
the top half play those in the bottom half.  In the next round the winners of
the previous round's games are arranged by rating and the top half plays the
bottom half.   The same thing is done with the losers in the previous round.
This continues until one clear winner emerges.  If the number of players is not
a power of two some may have a bye in some rounds.  The Swiss style tournament
can quickly find the best player in a group.  Four rounds will determine the
winner for a group of 16 players or less.  The Swiss style is often used in
weekend tournaments.

Another type of tournament is a single elimination (or some variation), where
you play until you lose.  That is fine for the winner, but if you lose early,
you don't get to play much.
Richard