[blind-chess] More on time control, vacations and illness

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:54:37 -0700

Hi All,

There certainly seems to be some interest in game time controls.

Personally, I would like to see individual players agree in advance for
friendly games rather than forcing everyone into a single approach.  But maybe
we can improve the situation with some of the following proposals.

All games:
* Players should remind their opponents by resending their last move if they do
not receive a reply move within a day.

Friendly Games:
* Either player can withdraw from a friendly game prior to White move six
without loss of rating.
(The idea here is neither player has much invested through move 5 so walking
away is easy)
* A friendly game player that does not make a move for more than five
consecutive days without prior agreement is considered to have abandoned the
game and loses on time.
(Note ignorance will be no excuse because of the general reminder rule above.)
* Players in friendly games will agree in advance if time controls are to be
used.
* If time controls are used in friendly games the normal five day reflection
time limit is suggested denoted as 0/5 to begin.

Vacation or illness absences:
* Time will be suspended for any player that is seriously ill or in the
hospital until they are ready to play.
* If the opponent of a seriously ill player wants to start another interim
game, contact the TD for instructions.
(Some arrangements may be required if your opponent started another game
because of long illnesses, but the game can be restarted in an orderly manner
with some discussion)
* A player may arrange a vacation from a non ladder tournament by notifying the
TD at least one week in advance.
* Vacationing ladder players can either leave the ladder and re-enter later or
use suspended mode.
* In suspended mode a player retains their place on the ladder as though they
were defending, but is effectively invisible so players below can jump over.

I look forward to any comments or additions.

Richard