[blind-chess] Re: Mentor or Collaborative Chess

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 02:21:33 +0100

Hello Richard and all,

I think the initial 9 points are a good frame from which to start. A flexible
approach in the light of experience will slowly evolve a satisfactory system.

As for the name, "Consultation Game", is already well established for this
concept.

I am having a few thoughts on how the system could work, but they are not as
complete as I would like them to be.

Perhaps a public experiment could take place over the list first. The idea is
to find out at what level assistance is useful.

It does not need to be a full game, just enough moves so that the consultation
process can become refined. If using the list in this way is thought
undesirable, then the experiment could be performed with members choosing to
receive the emails off-list. This would of course, mean that both teams can
observe the consultation within the other team, and since learning how to
consult efficiently is the point, and not the result, then knowing what the
other team is thinking is not important. This does not mean all consultation in
the future must take place by email, but email is an easy way for many to
initially observe consultation in action.

As one of the initial 9 points  states, games are not for rating. So, if
someone recommends a move or idea, and it turns out to be a losing one, so
what? This is a mutual gain concept.

Lastly, a thought to ponder. A little more than 18 years ago, my rating was
hovering around the same level for about 10 years. Then one year I gained 80
Elo points. Then the next year, a further gain of another 72 points. Quite a
lot for someone in their late 30s. This started a conversation roughly as
follows:
Q: How do you account for this improvement?
A: Regular coaching sessions.
Q: Who with?
A: Name given in reply.
Q: I do not know of him. How strong is he?
A: Rating given, which was about 500 Elo  points lower than my rating.

This produced puzzlement in all those listening. How can someone 500 points
lower help me to improve? I then went on to explain, that the person who I was
coaching, was getting me to explain concepts as I understood them. Initially, I
was not too good at expressing my thoughts. With time, the process of having to
explain my thinking to him, taught me how to understand what is happening in a
chess game better than previously.

Conclusion: The process of trying to explain something to someone else, in turn
increases one's own understanding. Well, that is my best explanation of my
improvement.

Paul Benson.