[bksvol-discuss] Re: word problem

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:19:48 -0600

With Word 2007, the only bug related to that directly seems to be in the file name. So change the file name as suggested already to make sure it only has alphanumeric characters, with dashs and underscores also being ok to have in the file name.

However, from digging through Microsoft tech support stuff on this, if for some reason your computer system was set up in an unusual fashion by some other software to use the IPersistFile interface, it can also cause this error in Word 2007. That problem will occur on if you have that interface and if you try and save the document as a docx file, and shouldn't occur if you are saving the file as a rtf type or a doc type even if you have that interface.

Judy s.
On 11/20/2014 7:01 PM, Christopher Zeigler wrote:

Hello again I am using Word 2007

On Nov 20, 2014 7:55 PM, "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Chris,

    OK, thanks.  Which version of Word are you running?  It is a known
    bug that crops up in Word.  In most versions of Word, it's caused
    by a problem where the file name has a percent sign (%), a pound
    sign (#) or an exclamation point (!) in the file name.  Those are
    normally acceptable characters when used in file names, but
because of this unfixed bug Word barfs and gives you this error. To work around the error, change the file name so it doesn't
    contain any of those characters. To be even safer, save the file
    with a file name that is limited to only alphabetic, numeric and
    underscore or dash characters in it.

    If you are running Word 2002, the bug is nastier. You have to make
    sure that the file doesn't contain a percent sign, a pound sign or
    an exclamation point, and you also must turn off the AutoRecover
    feature in Word. However, when you do that, you must be vigilant
    to save your file yourself every 5 or 10 minutes or all of your
    work is lost if the file has a problem or the system crashes.

    If you are forced to turn off AutoRecover, here's the steps to
    take to do it in Word 2002:

        Start Word.
        On the Tools menu, select Options.
        Select the Save tab, and then clear the Save AutoRecover info
    checkmark in every check box.
        Select OK to close the Options dialog box.

    If this doesn't work, I'm stumped, and maybe someone else can
    chime in and help.

    Judy s.
    On 11/20/2014 6:22 PM, Christopher Zeigler wrote:

    Yes that was supposed to be error
    Here is the error message below this is the first one you cannot
    save the file while the file is in use by another process try
    saving with a new name this is the first error message that I
    pressed enter to select the OK button
    Error message 2
    Saving is postponed I used the book title as the file so that's
    what it's calling the end of that message after the file

    On Nov 20, 2014 6:30 PM, "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hi  Chris,

        Can you re-explain what's going on? Your message doesn't
        quite make sense to me, it's like it's a bit garbled with
        stuff like "I've been getting a fair" for the last 24 hours
        and "press OK on this chair"?? Were "fair" and "chair"
        supposed to be "error?"

        Is this what's happening?
        1. You open the file in Word without any problem or error
        messages
        2. When you try to edit it Word gives you an error that says
        "can't save while file is in use by another process."

        What happens then?  Is there an error about saving to a new
        file name, and a separate error saying that auto recovery is
        postponed?

        Do you have any problems like this with any other file you
        try to edit in Word?

        Judy s.

        On 11/20/2014 5:15 PM, Christopher Zeigler wrote:

        Hello all is Chris Ziegler I got a word problem I am
        proofing in the beginning God answers to questions on
        Genesis by Clifford a Wilson it seems everytime I try to do
        it edit after word comes out and gave me an error you can't
        save while file is in use by another process trying to file
        with a new name I've been getting a fair for the last 24
        hours it's getting old saving the auto recovery is postponed
        this is the second error after I press OK on the once I
        press OK on this chair it goes away for a while then comes
        back do not get this if anybody has any ideas this week this
        book has a hundred forty seven pages and I'm trying so any
        help would be great I would very much have a wonderful day

        On Nov 20, 2014 5:34 PM, "Gary Petraccaro"
        <garypet130@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:garypet130@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            I can get there.  I logged on, went to my bookshare,
            went to volunteer home, and my scans in process.  I'm
            using WE 8.40 with MSIE 11, and I used the links-list
            approach with insert-tab then the first letter of the
            link I wanted.  That worked on this machine.

                *From:*bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                <mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>