[bksvol-discuss] Re: was donut mysteries

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 14:33:45 -0500

Cindy, blind volunteers proof without a print copy all the time. It is a matter of knowing what kind of scanning errors are likely, knowing how the language works, knowing what kind of characters might be in the book for finding deliberate misspellings to affect an accent and so forth. I suppose there might be an occasional error in the print copy that might be misinterpreted as a scanning error,  but that would be rare because, like I said, certain scanning errors are more likely. It is entirely possible to proof without a print copy. Then if something comes up that one is really confused about it can often be worked out by consulting Google Books or just by Googling the phrases around the questionable passage.

J.K. Rowling
“ I mean, you could claim that anything's real if the only basis for believing
in it is that nobody's proved it doesn't exist! ”
―  J.K. Rowling

On 12/13/2018 2:12 AM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:

Deborah, I did what you said and got the address of the person I contacted; if one can't get a print book for comparison can we just  proof without it as best as we can? I  wouldn't need a print book to fix formatting  but there's no guarantee spelling, grammar, punctuation  would be identical to print book; these are wish list books and I'd like to see them in the collection and Ithnk I'd have fun proofing them.