[bksvol-discuss] Re: turning off insert mode with jaws in Word

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:28:59 -0500

Over type mode can be useful if you're filling in forms, or fields, with a fixed length and you need to replace what's already there.

At 10:07 PM 12/16/2007, you wrote:
Dear Jackie Cindy Lou Ray, and Ann,

Thank you for the valuable computer lessons. I'll know what to do the next time letters start vanishing every time I try typing in corrections.

I've been experimenting with Control alt i and found it says it's toggling between insert and overtype modes.

It seems to me that my default in word is insert mode. Is that right?

Can anyone tell me in what kind of situation overtype mode would actually help anyone? You can delete normally in it, but how does it help if every time you type a letter, the letter to the right disappears. It seems to me this mode destroys anything it touches.

I must have my settings incorrectly set because the insert key in the six pack and the jaws one on the num pad still don't say or seem to do anything when I press them by themselves, as far as I can tell.