[bksvol-discuss] Re: turning off insert mode with jaws in Word

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:07:16 -0500

Dear Jackie Cindy Lou Ray, and Ann,

Thank you for the valuable computer lessons. I'll know what to do the next time letters start vanishing every time I try typing in corrections.

I've been experimenting with Control alt i and found it says it's toggling between insert and overtype modes.

It seems to me that my default in word is insert mode. Is that right?

Can anyone tell me in what kind of situation overtype mode would actually help anyone? You can delete normally in it, but how does it help if every time you type a letter, the letter to the right disappears. It seems to me this mode destroys anything it touches.

I must have my settings incorrectly set because the insert key in the six pack and the jaws one on the num pad still don't say or seem to do anything when I press them by themselves, as far as I can tell.

The important thing is that Cindy Lou's control, alt i gets me out of overtype mode without having to shut down my computer!

Ann, I like the way you backtrack to figure out how a person may have made a mistake in the first place. I do use control home to go to the beginning of a validation or to the top of documents.

In the case of overwriting, I use control I to turn italics on and off. For example if a book I'm validating should have words in italics but they aren't, I highlight them and press control i and the computer says italics on and the words become italicized. Control u turns underlining on and off and I use that, too. In a recent book I validated, the page numbers for the first fifty of about 200 pages were underlined. I didn't know how to do this quickly, but on each page, I highlighted the number and, control u made the underlining go off. This keystroke makes the computer do the opposite of what it sees in a highlighted word. For example, if the word is italicized and you don't want it to be, highlighting it and pressing control i makes jaws say italics off and the word is in regular font. This is faster than highlighting the word and using alt O to go to the options menu, entering on the top line which is font, and tabbing to the second spot and arrowing up to get off italics to regular font and back tabbing to OK and entering.

How do I know this? I'm terrible at manuals. I found the Control i and u by myself by accident over lots of time.

In this case, I was probably turning Italics on or off and accidentally pressed the alt key at the same time and never noticed jaws warning me about what I'd done.

I'm sure I would never have discovered the function of control alt i by myself.

Thank you all so much.

And, Jackie, next time, I'll call. You are very patient with those of us who think manuals were written to cause instant insanity, and who get fumble fingered and intellectually unplugged when they try and solve computer problems alone or with help.

Always with love,

Lissi

Original Message ----- From: "Cindy Ray" <cindyray@xxxxxxxxx>