[bksvol-discuss] Re: sidebar clarification

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 07:37:55 -0700

If they scan well, I keep such sidebars and put [Sidebar: Text of sidebar]. Mostly on the grounds of changing the book as little as possible (and less work for me). But, if they don't scan well, I don't spend any time fixing them, they are just deleted.

Misha

On 5/10/2011 7:07 PM, Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:
As a sighted person, it is my opinion that shortened versions of the text as sidebars are really just placed there to draw the reader's attention to that portion of the text. Just like in a newspaper where they put a little text box with a small quote that is in the article, to draw the reader's attention.

I would think that repeating a shortened version of the text, even though it is not exactly identical, would kind of be redundant to a person reading in braille. And since it can't be placed visually like it is on the page, it probably is a hindrance in the daisy version for people who are reading with sight too. And definitely a hindrance for people reading with speech.

I would probably eliminate them.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Red on Red by Edward Conlon

Get a free Redbox rental at: http://redbox.tellapal.com/a/clk/y3rdH

Earn cash for answering trivia questions every 3 hours: http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497

See everything I've read this year at: www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html <http://www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html>