[bksvol-discuss] Re: sidebar clarification

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 00:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Jamie
Cindy

--- On Tue, 5/10/11, Jamie Yates, CPhT <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Jamie Yates, CPhT <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: sidebar clarification
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 7:07 PM

As a sighted person, it is my opinion that shortened versions of the text as
sidebars are really just placed there to draw the reader's attention to that
portion of the text. Just like  in a newspaper where they put a little text box
with a small quote that is in the article, to draw the reader's attention.

I would think that repeating a shortened version of the text, even though it is
not exactly identical, would kind of be redundant to a person reading in
braille. And since it can't be placed visually like it is on the page, it
probably is a hindrance in the daisy version for people who are reading with
sight too. And definitely a hindrance for people reading with speech.

I would probably eliminate them.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Red on Red by Edward Conlon

Get a free Redbox rental at: http://redbox.tellapal.com/a/clk/y3rdH