[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about membership rules and volunteer credits

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:42:03 -0700

I don't see why it wouldn't work. After all, a person of little integrity could just download up to 5 books now - before it would have been theoretically any number - then just let them expire. Nothing happens to the books on that person's hard drive, that is, they don't become unusable or anything like demo software, so he/she could just keep them. We're kind of on the honors system here.

I was actually in that situation not long ago, although not deliberately. I downloaded a book from Step One, fully intending to validate it. But I had barely started when I went on a trip. I forgot to renew it before I left, and just decided to let it expire and someone else take it because I didn't think I would have the time to work on it while away. Besides, I couldn't get a copy from my library and didn't want to buy it, and I don't like to validate a book without a print copy to hand. I deleted the .rtf file after I got home, but I could easily have kept it. I just didn't feel right about it, though, besides probably not being technically legal.

But those with no ethics can find a way to abuse anything. Just look at our businessmen and politicians; with so many laws and rules, they still find ways. Our system of getting books into the collection seems to have worked pretty well so far.

Evan