[bksvol-discuss] quality and compairisons

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:46:13 -0500

Hi all,
Guido, you make an interesting point with the quality comparisons. The only
other repository I know is Gutenberg, and of course their texts are perfect,
or very very  close to it. But one difference is that Gutenberg asks its
volunteers to do proofreading. In order to assure great quality *someone*,
be it submitter or validator, would have to read the book. Yes there can be
a lot done by the submitter to ensure that the scan is clean, all pages are
there, and most junk characters removed. But there are many mistakes that
aren't going to be caught by a spellchecker. I'm not saying that spellcheck
is not useful because clearly it is, but if people want there books to be as
perfect as Web Braille or Gutenberg then serious proofreading will have to
be done. I'm not writing this to discourage validators who work on books
without reading them, or submitters who unselfishly submit books they aren't
very interested infor the sake of the collection. I'm just acknowledging a
reality.
Kellie