[bksvol-discuss] Re: quality and compairisons

  • From: "Paula Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:49:49 -0500

    Regarding book quality, it was brought to my attention several months ago
that the Narnia books currently on Bookshare have a lot of mistakes. I think
they are rated Excellent, but contain errors, such as Asian instead of Aslan.

    I downloaded A Horse and His Boy, with the intention of fixing it, but
found another problem. The page breaks appear to be in different places from
the page numbers. I was unable to find the particular series that is on
Bookshare, so can't correct this problem. It is a series that has been
renumbered, so that the books are in chronological order, which, according to
the publisher, was C. S. Lewis's wish.

    I have a lot of books that I've already scanned, and need to proofread, so
I'm not up for rescanning all seven Narnia books. I would be glad to do some
carefully chosen Find and Replace operations on these books, and they would be
in much better shape than they are now. My question is: Should I do that, or is
someone interested in rescanning the Narnia series?

    The person who alerted me to this problem was especially annoyed, because
these books are read by a lot of children. Although the Narnia books are
available on Web Braille, it would be nice if children who get them from
Bookshare could have accurate copies. I'm afraid some users are getting a bad
impression of Bookshare, because some books with Excellent ratings were not
checked thoroughly enough.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

Paula