[bksvol-discuss] Re: punctuation question

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:15:49 -0700

The scanning and proofing manual now says the ellipsis is supposed to be treated as a word. So in your case if the period seems to end a complete sentence, you should leave the ellipsis as it is. But if the phrase that ends with a period is only a sentence fragment, you should put the four dots together with a space between the last word and the first dot since there would be a space between the last actual word and the next imaginary word represented by the ellipsis, but there would be no space between the last word in the sentence represented by the elipsis and the period at the end of that sentence.

I hope that is at least somewhat clear. A few months ago, someone posted good examples of how the ellipsis should be treated in different situations. Maybe he or she will post them again.

Misha

On 7/19/2012 6:40 AM, Martha Rafter wrote:
    Hi Folks,
In the book I am proofing, there are places at the end of some sentences that have a period, then a space, then ellipses. I am supposed to put the period and ellipses together to make four dots, is that correct? Thanks!
Marty