[bksvol-discuss] Re: punctuation question

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:10:37 -0700

Hi Marty,

Here are the rules for formatting the ellipsis that we are using.  These
arrangements make the character appear as it should in braille.  It isn't
always four dots, as you will see.

Formatting The Ellipsis

The ellipsis should be punctuated as if it were a word. Examples:
"Fools rush in ..."

"... for they shall inherit the earth"
 "Breathe, Mellissa. In ... and out. In ...
and out."
An ellipsis and a period.  Sometimes an ellipsis appears to be four dots
rather than three. This is because the ellipsis is either preceded or
followed by a period. Since the braille period is not the same as the dots
of an ellipsis, it must be determined which of the four dots is the period.

If the sentence is incomplete, does not contain a subject and a verb and
express a complete thought, then the ellipsis is taking the place of missing
words within the sentence--in which the period immediately follows the
ellipsis, just as it would a word. If a sentence is gramatically complete,
the first dot represents the period and the ellipsis represents a following
missing sentence or sentences. In this case a blank cell (a space) is left
between the period and the following ellipsis.
Example:
As you can see, I have followed your career. ... As to my own .... Well, you
know the story.

Hope that helps!

Mayrie

Mayrie