[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofing boooks with tables

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:37:50 -0500

As to the number of columns, you put the number of columns that are in the book. I generally use the tab key as my cell separator, and there should be a paragraph mark at the end of each row. If there is a blank cell, I put a space there, so that there are still the same number of columns in each row. Also, if the book has information from one cell on more than one line, it should go altogether, Word's table feature will wrap it for you. Only use one tab between cells, and don't try to line up the information, all of this will be taken care of when you convert it to a table. When you have all of this done, you need to select all of the text, then bring up the table menu with alt a, arrow down to convert, press right arrow to open this menu item, which has a submenu, and press enter on text to table. This will bring up a dialog, where you tell it that you used tabs as the separator, and the number of columns, it has a couple of other options that I've never changed. These directions are for Word 2003. If you have a later version of Word, they may be slightly different. I don't believe there is a table menu in the ribbon, I believe it is under something else. If you have 2007 or 2010, you may try right clicking after you've selected the text. Word 2007 and beyond has made many options readily available through the context menu that is brought up by right clicking. For those of us who are blind, we can use the application key to bring up the context menu that comes up when sighted folks right click. Hope this has helped someone when creating a table.

Melissa Smith

On 6/14/2011 5:54 PM, Cindy wrote:
I tried using the table feature; T tried converting table to text and then text
to table;one thing I may have done wrong is that I didn't know how many columns
to put in
CIndy

From: Judy s.<cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: way to refer to
other books?
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
Let me second Sue on this -- I'd love
to have a book like this on Bookshare.  I
don't scan,
but if you'd be willing to try scanning it,
Charisma, I'd be
willing to proof it, as long as you keep the
images of the
pages until the proofing is done.  That way I
can get a
page image from you if I need it when proofing
tricky parts
like tables. smile.

Judy s.

Sue Stevens wrote:
Hi Charisma,

Some of us cannot hear audio books, so having
a book
on the Bard site would do us no good.  True
we are a
small group, but we appreciate it when such books
are in
Bookshare.
Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Charisma
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:55 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] way to refer to
other
books?
I was looking to see if Bookshare had a copy
of this
book because I
wanted to listen to it.
I checked the publisher and the site and etc
and it is
not there. So I
was about to scan it when I remembered that I
had
listened to it
initially through NLS/BARD. Since they have it
I am
not going to scan
it.

But I wish there was a way to refer folks to a
place
that has a thing
when Bookshare does not. It looks as if the
brain
injury books on
Bookshare are regarding pediatric injuries
only, but
this one is for
any age.

IS there a way? This has been an extremely
helpful
book to me and at
least one of my doctors. If it was not so
tricky with
tables and all I
would go ahead and push through if it was not
available anywhere else.
Charisma
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank
Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the
subject
line.  To get a list of available commands,
put the

-----
No virus found in this message.
-