[bksvol-discuss] Re: one more Re: questions about: titles, hyphens, footnotes

  • From: Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:51:51 -0600

Mayrie (I keep mistyping your name "Marvie" as in the phrase we used
back in the 70s. lol)

> Oh, what ebook reader do you use?  Do you like it?

On the comptuer I use TextAloud, the Victor Reader from Bookshare, and
the RFB&D reader.

My major portable reader is a Victor Reader Stream . It took me
forever to afford it but it has been soooo worth it! It has restored a
part of my life I had not been able to stop grieving over since the
brain injury.

I also use the NLS cassette player for items from NLS and from JBI.

For regular audio recordings on CD I occasionally load all the CDs
into my iTunes but I don't care for that as much. I'd rather have a
digital copy that is nice and tidy and all in one file. And most of
the things I want to listen to are not recorded yet. I am not sure if
this is true or not but it seems like NLS records more fiction than
non-fiction;  I am almost positive that is the case for audios done by
non-Blind resources. I am mostly a non-fiction reader.

I also use the OverDrive offered by both my City and County libraries.

But if someone does not find a way to allow us to read pdfs I am going
to lose it. Some can be saved as text by Adobe but those are often
very scrambled after the conversion. Some pdfs say they can be read to
you by Adobe but they lie. I get very few to work. Some epubs I can
convert with Stanza but that is also a crap-shoot. For the most part I
find pdfs locked up tighter than a safe. I am guessing I am not alone
in this!

> One of the things I love about scanning books, I get to touch and smell them.
>> Yes, I'm a bit odd.

Totally not! I agree!

> I'm totally blind, and use both braille and text-to-speech to scan and
> proofread.

You're a better "man" than I, Gungha Din!" lol I struggle to do
anything with just audio. I need more training but they could not
arrange it at my home and I can't get into the Blind Center on their
schedule so I get along as well as I can. I desperately want a Braille
display but I could not get a loan large enough to afford one. Still,
my hands have limited sensitivity so it is probably better I did not
get that loan.

Charisma