[bksvol-discuss] Re: long dashes.

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:32:32 -0800

Hi Cindy,

It is standard in braille to have the long dash/em dash not surrounded by spaces. I have seen both in print, and don't know which, if either is standard in print. Do you know the answer to that one?

Peace,
Mayrie

At 02:23 PM 3/6/2008, you wrote:
Well, you've convinced me. smile Unless bookshare
compains, I'll convert em dashes to double-hyphens
instead of vice versa.

Question: in Braille, is the dash used for the em dash
surrounded by a space, as between regular words and as
opposed to a hyphen which has no space between it and
the words on either side? Example:  -
Or do the spaces not appear? Could you replace
spacedashspace with double dashes without spaces?

Cindy