[bksvol-discuss] Re: indexes?

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:41:21 -0400

I also do them, as I mentioned. I am not yet convinced that doing a search for a word on a computer has made a good index obsolete, since - for important terms, which may appear many times - an index will give you the various contexts in which that word appears. Doing a search for a specific word might need a lot of repetitions to find that particular instance. But I know I'm in the minority with respect to their value and I also know that they can require some work to fix up, and that they are not required by Bookshare. So it's not worth debating.

Besides, I might change my mind on doing them in the future. I've only done a couple so far, as I mainly do fiction. But if I get a really big one, I might let it go, That is, if I can resist the sometimes uncontrollable impulses of my Deranged Perfectionism condition. <grin>

Evan