[bksvol-discuss] Re: index spills over 2 pages

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 06:34:08 -0700

Hi Robin!

I think it's all a matter of preference.  In some ways, Kurzweil's editor is
much more simplistic than Word's.  But I do use it primarily for editing
books for Bookshare with grand success.  I started doing this because while
learning to edit using both pieces of software, I had an older and sluggish
computer.  Word was just too ponderous and drove me nuts.  So, I opted to
work in Kurzweil.  I really think that for our purposes, it is just a matter
of preference.

That said, there are a couple of things that can't be done easily using
Kurzweil.  But they aren't things that are major issues.  For example, if
working with a scan produced by someone using FineReader off-the-shelf
software, the rtf document may have section breaks instead of page breaks.
Kurzweil can't convert these section breaks to page breaks as we must do,
while Word can.  Also, Word has an automated way using find and replace to
convert em dashes, or long dashes to two hyphens as we also need to do.
This can be worked around by finding an em dash and copying it into the find
box of the find and replace dialogue in Kurzweil 1000, and replacing all.
But one has to make some effort to do this.  Also, for this particular
issue, if one is using JAWS as his/her screen reader, the special symbols
dialogue/option can be brought up in notepad, and the em dash can be copied
to the clipboard and pasted into Kurzweil's find box in the find and replace
dialogue.  Window Eyes may have this option too, I'm just completely
unfamiliar with the capabilities of that screen reader. So that isn't a true
obstacle, but does take some working around, where using Word, the find and
replace is a matter of a couple of keystrokes.

I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to go on and on so much!  But that's just been my
experience.  And even though I have a computer that doesn't bog down in Word
any more, I did get more comfortable editing using Kurzweil 1000.  But I can
and do use both and/or either piece of software.

Mayrie