[bksvol-discuss] improvement to site - delayed

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:32:37 -0800

Hi all,

Re. my request that engineering move the expiration notice to 3 days in advance
with the ability to renew the book at the same time, I thought the fix was
complete, but alas, it's not.  I will let you know when it's done.  Sorry for
the false advertising!  Have a great weekend.

Alisa

Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:10 PM
To: bksvol-discuss digest users
Subject: bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #68

bksvol-discuss Digest   Thu, 08 Mar 2012        Volume: 09  Issue: 068

In This Issue:
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: incomplete series
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: incomplete series
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Guilford Press Has Become a Partner
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Red Wheel Weiser Has Signed Our  Ag
                [bksvol-discuss] improvement to site
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Trade an
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: improvement to Bookshare site
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: incomplete series
                [bksvol-discuss] OT: Kurzweil Listserve?
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Kurzweil Listserve?
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Trade an
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: incomplete series
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Request
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: deleting Word's automatic breaks
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Request
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: unable to check in
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: unable to check in

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 03:59:40 -0500
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: incomplete series
From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm going to try to do them this week when I am off but I did pick up 22
books at the library Monday night before I went to work.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Killer Cuts by Elaine Viets

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:56:17 -0500
From: Julia <julia.kulak@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jamie and list.
     Wow, that's an awful lot of books! I'd think that many all at once
would make you dread your next library trip!
Did you bring a shopping cart to get them home, smile. Julia

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:08:23 -0600
From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Guilford Press Has Become a Partner

Hi Alisa and Robin!

Thanks so much for announcing a new publishing partner.  Keep up the good work.

Debby

At 04:07 PM 3/6/2012, Alisa Moore wrote

                                 --
                 mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
--

"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue
; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:11:09 -0600
From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Red Wheel Weiser Has Signed Our  Agreement

Hi Alisa and Robin!

Thanks for this message, too.  We will stay up
to date with this helpful information.

From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:13:17 -0800
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] improvement to site

Hi all..thanks for the feedback re. the renewal feature not working as
intended...I'll work with engineering on this.  Please continue to let me know
off-line (via email to me) what you're seeing, so I can tell engineering.
Alisa

Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:12 PM
To: bksvol-discuss digest users
Subject: bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #67

bksvol-discuss Digest   Wed, 07 Mar 2012        Volume: 09  Issue: 067

In This Issue:
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: improvement to Bookshare site
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: improvement to Bookshare site
                [bksvol-discuss] Optic Book Scanners
                [bksvol-discuss] Matching Subject Line to Topic of Message,

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 00:19:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: improvement to Bookshare site

I have a book due on 3/9/12 without a renew button, so it is not yet working for
me.  I have refreshed the page to be sure.  I have not yet gotten a renewal
notice if it matters.
Looking forward to the option!
 Valerie

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 05:31:35 -0500
From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I was looking yesterday since my book is do on the ninth and the link
was not there. I just thought you might want to know as well. I just
checked and the link isn't there today either. I'll just keep my eyes
open.
Valerie, you're not the only one, no worries.
Jackie

--
Currently Reading: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

------------------------------

From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Optic Book Scanners
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 08:22:56 -0500

Hi all,

May I make a plea for more relevant subject lines?  I just arose this
morning, and found an hundred and eleven email in my queue, yes
eleventy-one, as Tolkien would say.  A large number of them have no
subject line except the name of the list.  Please, folks, please, for
those of us who sort email by subject, determining what topics are
worth Reading and which can be deleted due to time constraints, it
would be really thoughtful and kind if you would put a relevant subject
line on your posts.  The subject line is there for a reason, a cogent
one, in fact.  Please remember your fellow list members and put
relevant subject lines on your posts.

Now, I am going back to the folder summary listing to delete all the
messages with empty subject lines because the subject, scanners,
doesn't interest me at this particular time.  Thanks.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 11:25:53 -0500
From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Matching Subject Line to Topic of Message, was Re: Op

Anne, it would be nice if the subject line really reflected the topic of
the message, but I think it is a lost cause. Every email list I have
ever been on has suffered from rampant topic drift. I tend to just
ignore the subject line and, in fact, the headers because they are
unlikely to tell me much. I know that by ignoring them I contribute to
the problem because then I will be replying to a message without having
even been aware of what the subject line might say, but occasionally,
when a request like yours comes along I will remember to change the
subject line. It doesn't do much good, though, because I cannot force
everyone else to do that and I drift back into just ignoring them again.
That causes me a bigger problem when I am replying to a message and
think it is in one list while it is in another. I suppose that also
contributes to the growth of off topic threads. Anyway, if you just
delete a message based solely on the subject line you will be missing
messages that you are interested in. If you do not, of course, you will
be wasting time with messages that you are not interested in. Then if
you plead for a stop to off topic messages you are at great risk of
starting a long thread about off topic messages and if you start one of
those then that thread is likely to drift into some other frivolity. I
think that perhaps the most effective way to cut down on email that you
have no interest in is to take a hard look at the lists to which you
subscribe. Take into consideration the ratio of noise to signal in each
of those groups. Take into consideration how valuable the signal in each
list is in relation to its noise. Then pick out some groups to
unsubscribe from. In the mean time, since I have just gotten your
reminder, I am changing the subject line on this message.

On 3/7/2012 8:22 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> May I make a plea for more relevant subject lines?  I just arose this
> morning, and found an hundred and eleven email in my queue, yes
> eleventy-one, as Tolkien would say.  A large number of them have no
> subject line except the name of the list.  Please, folks, please, for
> those of us who sort email by subject, determining what topics are
> worth Reading and which can be deleted due to time constraints, it
> would be really thoughtful and kind if you would put a relevant
> subject line on your posts.  The subject line is there for a reason, a
> cogent one, in fact.  Please remember your fellow list members and put
> relevant subject lines on your posts.
>
> Now, I am going back to the folder summary listing to delete all the
> messages with empty subject lines because the subject, scanners,
> doesn't interest me at this particular time.  Thanks.
>
> Ann P.

------------------------------

End of bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #67
***********************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:14:34 -0600
From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Trade and  Referen

Hi Alisa and Robin!

Thanks again.  I found the history interesting.

Debby

At 04:32 PM 3/6/2012, Alisa Moore wrote

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:05:35 -0600
From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Alisa!

This is good news.

Debby

At 04:06 PM 3/6/2012, Alisa Moore wrote

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Books, books, and more books!  Yippee!  Looking forward to a good Neta Jackson
book.  Thanks, Jamie!
 Valerie

From: "Kim Loftis" <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] OT: Kurzweil Listserve?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:40:22 -0500

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for an OT message, but can someone please provide me with the info to
join the Kurzweil 1000 listserve?  I attempted to join via the Kurzweil site
several weeks ago, but never received confirmation or any messages, so perhaps
I made an error somehow?  I've also been searching on Google, but no luck thus
far.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Warmest,
Kim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 12:14:27 -0800
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Kurzweil Listserve?
From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>

Yeh, here it is:
http://www.kurzweiledu.com/listservSignup.php it works well for me and
I subscribed to the k1000 list.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:56:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>

I echo Debby's comment. The addition of cookbooks will, I think, be
particularly welcome, since they are so hard to scan and proof.
Cindy

 itself in the subject line.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 18:24:55 -0500
From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>

No, all 22 books fit in my reusable grocery bag. Barely, but they did. And
I only took back 1 book that night! I usually try to bring home no more
than I brought back but a lot of my holds came in.
And I already had more than 10 library books still at home . . .

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:40:26 -0500
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Request
From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>

In case anyone cannot follow the link the book is Jazz by Paul Tanner. It
is 416 pages and is a McGraw Hill book.

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:41:13 -0500
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: deleting Word's automatic breaks
From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>

Cindy, it isn't necessary to delete soft page breaks. Soft page breaks are
only visible in Word and don't count. Only hard page breaks count. You can
leave them in without any problems.

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:32:39 -0800
From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>

Right and I don't know if Bookshare and the publishing company is
partnering together soon, but would like the 12th edition when it
comes out a year from now. I'll let you know when it is out.

Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:46:51 -0500
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: unable to check in
From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>

I find any time past 2 a.m. Eastern time is slow, slow slow.
Unfortunately that's when I'm awake since I work nights and sleep days.

Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:49:31 -0500
From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>

When I say slow, slow, slow, I mean it could take 30 minutes or longer for
the last part of the submission process to complete. I have actually left
the computer and gone to cook a meal at 5 a.m. and come back and it wasn't
done submitting.
And heaven forbid if you leave the Bookshare tab for another tab--because
it will NOT submit. Not even after 2 hours. You have to leave that tab as
the active tab or the book does not submit, period. You can't switch to
your email or your library's website, or any other site. You can't do
ANYTHING except stay on the submit page. That's why I get up and go cook or
do something else.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Killer Cuts by Elaine Viets

End of bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #68