[bksvol-discuss] Re: frustration among submitters and validators

  • From: "Kaitlyn" <kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:00:18 -0800

Hello E and Scott,

First on the submission form. I have been working with Jaws since around
2000 and initially was a little frustrated with web forms and navigation
until I had more time to learn the many features of JAWS. JAWS is like a
high end word processor or graphics program. It is fairly simple to get a
document opened and read but it does take some time to master the array of
key strokes and useful features of the software. Could these complaints be
from beginning JAWS users who basically don't know JAWS and are pointing
toward bookshare as the cause

I have used many web forms now and except for the tidal issue and too many
characters in the brief synopsis I have never had an issue with the form. I
think with about 40 plus books uploaded I have had one nor two that didn't
upload initially but after signing out and back in the book submitted fine.
This issue I have had on other sites and to me is merely short comings of
computers in general.

As far as having ways to see the status of a book, being validated, in the
admin queue, fair quality and on the wish list this could be done in real
time and would assist the scanners and validators emcely. Many of us have
full lives but do put time into the site to make it what it is. As I have
experienced here at work that sometimes even though something seems to be a
no brainer it often takes money which is sometimes in short supply.

Attitude wise I hope that some of this is not coming from the view that
visually impaired people's time is not real valuable and that we have lots
of it. I see that with the lift program here. Also there is the attitude by
some visually impaired persons that I'm blind and this should just work
right or should be provided for us.

With Kurzweil so far, after learning the program and the quirks  of my
scanner, I get very good scans compared to back in the 90's when I got a
scanner and some commercial OCR software. It still may have its short
comings but keep in mind the judgement of a human being is still superior to
a machine.

In a perfect world the  scans would always be perfect, the spell checker
would correct everything knowing intuitively which words should be replaced,
there would never be web outages and all files would transfer at 5 MB plus
kb/sec and bookshare would be fully staffed and ampully funded:)

I hope that user imput is seriously considered and some of these day to day
issues we have all been fighting for will be put into place this year.

Katie Hill
No one is given a dream without also being given the power to make it come
true