[bksvol-discuss] frustration among submitters and validators

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:40:53 -0500

There a lot of submitters who never join a list. Many of them spoke to me at CSUN. Really I ought to say former submitters. They say they have lots of books on their hard disks. They are frustrated by difficulties using the submitting screen particularly with JAWS. I am not a JAWS user. I rarely submit.

This issue seems deeply significant and ought to be addressed. Also there ought to be a link right above submitt saying "report failure to submit. Even if the person clicks that link and does not comment we have a tally. If a form is presented for commentt, bookshare has gathered even more information. Such info is valuable when seeking grants for, say, engineering and hardware.

The second complaint I hear is about quality, particularly that of well known books or older books. Appparently parts of the Lord of the Rings are rated excellent and may stray from the rating.

This issue was brought up at the thursday evening CSUN meeting. I think there is going to be some official way for a user of a book in the general collection to put in explicit comments.

Let's imagine a set of check boxes such as
presence of 1 instead of I
missing pages
lines cut off on a regular basis
missing page numbers
rn instead of man resulting in rnan instead of man

That stuff could be an unofficial way to let the part of the community who volunteers what older and loved books need attention.

I do not know if this issue of quality is one of the reasons for one time bookshare members not renewing and do hope bookshare is dilligently investigating any comments by non-renewing folks.

General comments about the desperate need for systems are lent a tone of frustration by the fact that all of us have been making them for often three years.

Examples include the wish list mess, the need for a list of "books currently being scanned " to avoid duplicate work and the latest horror. I speak here of that thing where Kurzweil puts spaces into words. I have dealt with it for months and months.

My first thought is that Kurzweil may need more active beta testers if they missed this one. My second is it would be nice to know what a person uses when scanning. For instance, if I know I ham validating a book by so and so I can check a profile saying so and so is using k1000 version ten. We may be able to teach each other better how to create books if we have these better tools.

E.