[bksvol-discuss] Re: fair books and "BSO"

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:02:34 -0500

Wouldn't it make more sense to scan some stuff that isn't on bookshare and wait until you get a subscription to read what already is in the collection? The whole idea of bookshare is to not duplicate scanning effort. It isn't vary nice to waste the time of validators who must check duplicates to see if they are better quality than what is in the collection. They don't even get credit for that task when the duplicate is not any better than the one in the collection. It's fine to submit something again when you know the current copy is not satisfactory, but otherwise please don't. Also remember those numbers we were given about the cost of processing each book. We don't want to process any one title more times than necessary.

Maybe you didn't believe me because it was to my benefit to say so, but I have already written to this list to tell you that Mrs. Pollifax Innocent Tourist was a book I scanned and I edit obsessively before submitting. If the book is damaged I would like someone to let me know, but still it would be unlikely that it could be improved very much because the conversion process would have to be the culprit if there were more than a few errors in it.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>