[bksvol-discuss] Re: btc books?

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:03:01 -0400

Dear Jamie, Sue and Booksharian Friends,

Dickens is my favorite author, but I didn't finish the Pickwick Papers, either.
He was just starting out, getting the hang of publishing his work in serial
form in newspapers. Pickwick Papers are loosely linked short stories, not a
novel, and those characters were too silly for my taste. Everything else
Dickens, I've loved.

Right now I'm reading Bookshare's braille file of "The Help," which Mayrie  did
a marvelous job of proofreading. As usual, I don't want to see a book based
movie until I've read the book. I'm 2/3 through and there hasn't been a dull or
unemotional moment.  My first two years of teaching were in Jackson Mississippi
in the very early 70s, so I feel very close to the life style depicted. Having
grown up in Ohio, there was some culture shock involved, but Jackson gave a
legally blind beginner her start in teaching and the experience which enabled
me to move back to Ohio where I had the teaching career of my dreams.

Look for Household Gods to be in the collection in a few days. It's 660 pages
of fabulously detailed  historical fiction about everyday life in a  Roman city
on the Danube in the 170s A.D.  A woman living in California in the late
twentieth century is frustrated because she doesn't get a promotion she earned,
her daycare provider has quit and her microwave stops waving, thinks life was
easier and simpler in Roman cities with their advanced laws, sewage systems and
orderly city layouts. She is whisked back to live in the body of a widow who
owns a tavern where she and the  reader learn what life is like with tainted
water, plagues, no rights for women, slavery, beast shows, public baths and
markets where you get the wool and hoof on your leg of lamb.

Happy Booksharing,

Always With Love,

Lissi