[bksvol-discuss] Re: books that are a series or a part thereof.

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:04:01 -0600

With Excel, the position appears to be saved when the file is saved. This is convenient if you are going to be adding more information, but when you are about to send it to a group, especially of blind folks, it is helpful to do a control home so that it will start reading at the beginning.

Melissa Smith

On 1/11/2011 8:46 AM, Tracy Carcione wrote:
I had no trouble using this spreadsheet with Jaws.  My only quibble is
that, when I opened it up, I landed in a blank worksheet, and had to
ctl-page-up to get to the actual lists.
Tracy

Having  spreadsheet version is an intermediary step to updating the Wish
List on the wiki. On second thought however, I am wondering if that format
isn't a step backwards for Jaws users. Attached is a version of the Wish
List from several weeks ago as a spreadsheet. Maybe a couple people could
try to read it with Jaws, or other potentially problematic apps, and do a
quick quality analysis of the idea. Format choice isn't necessarily a bad
thing.

 From the larger perspective its seems appropriate that we continue to be
generous about reformatting documents for each other. I have certainly
been the beneficiary of volunteer help lately as my email sends out junk
characters or "invisible" emails. Sharing Google documents and Excel
spreadsheets between the various flavors of apps we all use has also
driven this home to me.

Maybe, in a smaller discussion off list with Cindy, a few people could
figure out a good alternate format strategy and self-organize to test it
for a few months. The solution might be for Cindy to continue with the few
tweaks she is introducing along with a team that republishes a digest
spreadsheet version for quick reference? Copy me in. I'd like to be part
of that discussion.

The Wish List is both an important resource and a unique tradition in the
Bookshare volunteer community. Cindy carries it 100% for the benefit of us
all. The geek network administrator in me says "redundancy is good risk
management." The manager asks, "What succession path do we have in place
to let Cindy train helpers?" It sounds like a few people are offering to
be understudies with you, Cindy.

Scott