[bksvol-discuss] Re: books that are a series or a part thereof.

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 05:26:26 -0800

Having  spreadsheet version is an intermediary step to updating the Wish List
on the wiki. On second thought however, I am wondering if that format isn't a
step backwards for Jaws users. Attached is a version of the Wish List from
several weeks ago as a spreadsheet. Maybe a couple people could try to read it
with Jaws, or other potentially problematic apps, and do a quick quality
analysis of the idea. Format choice isn't necessarily a bad thing.

From the larger perspective its seems appropriate that we continue to be
generous about reformatting documents for each other. I have certainly been the
beneficiary of volunteer help lately as my email sends out junk characters or
"invisible" emails. Sharing Google documents and Excel spreadsheets between the
various flavors of apps we all use has also driven this home to me.

Maybe, in a smaller discussion off list with Cindy, a few people could figure
out a good alternate format strategy and self-organize to test it for a few
months. The solution might be for Cindy to continue with the few tweaks she is
introducing along with a team that republishes a digest  spreadsheet version
for quick reference? Copy me in. I'd like to be part of that discussion.

The Wish List is both an important resource and a unique tradition in the
Bookshare volunteer community. Cindy carries it 100% for the benefit of us all.
The geek network administrator in me says "redundancy is good risk management."
The manager asks, "What succession path do we have in place to let Cindy train
helpers?" It sounds like a few people are offering to be understudies with you,
Cindy.

Scott