[bksvol-discuss] Re: book courier question

  • From: "Peter Scialli" <Peter.s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 21:35:12 -0400

Jim,
    Bookport and Bookcourier definitely do not work under Windows 98, any
edition.  The usb standard was not fully implemented until Windows ME.
While some devices do have special usb drivers written for Windows 98, they
are not standardized and thus not supported by the vast majority of devices
that are coming out in the year 2004 unless the manufacturer devotes
significant engineering resources into doing work that Microsoft is no
longer willing to do for that operating system.  Here is an excerpt from the
Bookcourier FAQ page:
Does BookCourier work with Windows 98?
Currently, no. In the first release, BookCourier's transfer software will
work with
Microsoft Windows ME, 2000, and XP. You'll also need a USB port on your PC.

    Thanks.

Peter M. Scialli, Ph.D.
Associate, Technical Projects, Bookshare.org
www.bookshare.org

A Project of The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity
peter @benetech.org
www.benetech.org