[bksvol-discuss] block quotes

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:08:23 -0400

Thanks for the clarification about italics. I will absolutely keep them
in. May I ask another question? This is a lovely book I'm validating. It
has many long quotes from the Qur'an. In print books, long quotes are
set apart by having the entire quote indented, having bigger margins
both on the left and on the right sides of the page. They are also often
in a smaller font size. The scanner did not indent the long quotes in
this book, and anyway, Bookshare removes indentations I understand.
How would it be helpful to indicate that these are direct words from the
Qur'an and not from the author. The language style is different, is that
enough for a reader to get that it's a quote? Here's an example from the
book. The sentence that begins Recite to them... and ends with the verse
numbers is an indented quote. All the indented quotes do end in verse
numbers, but there are also verse numbers strewn throughout the text.
Thanks for any guidance.

genuine repentance (tauba) can turn an apparently wholly evil man into a
paragon of virtue; on the other hand, although this is much more rare,
an apparent paragon of virtue (even a prophet!) can turn into a near
devil enmeshed in carnal pleasures:

Recite to them [O Muhammad!] the news of him whom We had given our
signs, but he abandoned them and the devil pursued him so that he became
one of the deviants; if We had willed, We would have exalted him through
those signs, but he gravitated down to the earth and followed his own
desires. (7:175-76)

To hold that the Qur'an believes in an absolute determinism of human
behavior, denying free choice on man's part, is not only to deny almost
the entire content of the Qur'an, but to undercut its very basis: the
Qur'an by its own claim is an invitation to man to come to the right
path (hudan li'l-nas).