[bksvol-discuss] Writer's Practice Group Announcement

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 04:10:48 -0800

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to thank everyone who joined us last night for the meeting of The Writer's

Practice Group for contributing to the discussion. Last night's meeting of The Writer's

Practice Group was a discussion of showing versus telling. You can find a recorded archive

of the meeting on the Friends of Bookshare web site at:

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org

The next meeting of The Writer's Practice Group will be next Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at

6:00P.M. Pacific time, 7:00 P.M. Mountain Time, 8:00 P.M. Central Time, and 9:00 P.M.

Eastern Time in the Friends of Bookshare Classroom. You can access the classroom at the

following link.

Friends of Bookshare Class Room:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs0f1c528bd81b

If you enjoy writing, please join us and bring your writing on one of the topics listed

below to read aloud to the group. If you are unable to read your piece of writing aloud,

but would like to share, you can e-mail me a copy of your piece and I can display it as text

for the group to read together. Please send me your topic no later than 4:30 P.M. Pacific

time the day of the meeting.  My e-mail address is:

mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx

I look forward to seeing you there!

Peace,
Mayrie

WRITING TOPICS FOR THE NEXT WEEK
Here are some writing topics to spur you on in your daily writing practice during the next

week. These topics are designed to help you to, "Show, not tell." Choose one topic to

bring to the next meeting and read aloud to the group. Remember to keep the piece, or part

of a piece of writing that you choose to share to a length that can be read aloud in five

minutes or less, no more than  one-thousand words.  Happy writing!
1. You're walking along the beach one cool and crisp morning when you notice something

sticking out of the sand. As you get closer, you realize
it's a bottle with a message in it. You crack the bottle open and read it. What does it say?

2. You've been going through a dry spell in the dating department, so you've been set up on

a blind date. You're asked to meet this stranger at
the food court in your local mall. When the date arrives you're shocked to find out that

it's a famous fictional character. Describe the scene (who's the
mystery date, how did you react and what happened the rest of the date).

3. The temperature outside is finally above freezing and winter's snow is beginning to

melt, revealing a season's worth of lost things. Disregarding
hats and mittens, a man walking his dog becomes intrigued with a black velvet box. He opens

it and is shocked to discover its contents. What's inside the
box and how did it get there?

4. It's the holiday season, and you still have a lot of shopping to do, so you're skipping

work. Your boss, who won't accept, "I'm not feeling well,"
as an excuse, requires a more outlandish reason. Write an excuse that begins, "You're not

going to believe this, but ..." and ends with the phrase, " ...
and that's why I can't come to work today.

5. Describe your workspace in vivid detail. What items are on your desk? What pictures do

you have on the walls? What does your trash can look like?