[bksvol-discuss] Re: Why People Submit Poor Quality Scans

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:25:25 -0400

Hi, Lisa. I can hear your frustration. I was in the same boat for a long time. Nobody on this list started out knowing how to get great scans. I don't use Finereader, but I know a few people who do. In fact, our own Carrie Karnos uses it and may have some tips to share. For a start, there is a short tutorial on Jake's website at http://www.jbrownell.com in the area for Bookshare links. I'm not sure if I kept the message about Finereader, but I think Donna wrote the page on Jake's site too. If this doesn't help you, will you please let me know either here or in private mail? I will write to my friends and ask them about optimizing Finereader to get good scans. My friend Pam still makes my scans look like an amateur. (smile) I will ask her how she sets hers up.

Monica Willyard

On Wednesday 9/27/2006 06:50 PM, you wrote:
On that note, some of us just haven't gotten good at scanning. Christmas time, I got a scanner and a copy of FineReader. I had saved an email from a while back that Donna had sent, giving a tutorial on how to best set up Finereader.
But for whatever reason, my scans never come out good at all. I'm using an Epson scanner, a model that was recommended by many bookshare users. But still, I cannot get a good scan, no matter what I do. I know it isn't a problem with a scanner, or the program, because I've let a friend or two scan a few things (not books though) and they say it looks beautiful. So, I'm probably doing something wrong. I haven't submitted any of my scans, because that's how bad I think they are.