[bksvol-discuss] Re: Why People Submit Poor Quality Scans

  • From: "Lisa Leonardi" <lml5280@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:50:33 -0500

On that note, some of us just haven't gotten good at scanning. Christmas time, I got a scanner and a copy of FineReader. I had saved an email from a while back that Donna had sent, giving a tutorial on how to best set up Finereader.
But for whatever reason, my scans never come out good at all. I'm using an Epson scanner, a model that was recommended by many bookshare users. But still, I cannot get a good scan, no matter what I do. I know it isn't a problem with a scanner, or the program, because I've let a friend or two scan a few things (not books though) and they say it looks beautiful. So, I'm probably doing something wrong. I haven't submitted any of my scans, because that's how bad I think they are.
So, it's possible that some people are just not good at it, and are still submitting in hopes that the book can be made better by a validater. I would love to submit books, because since I've gotten the scanner, friends have provided me with a small collection, most of which is not currently on bookshare. But, my scans aren't even much readable by myself, so I don't feel that I should attempt submitting them.

lisa
----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>