[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating the Validator

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:52:50 -0400

Hi Max,

No there is not a comparison checker that looks the file over after you validate it. At least not one I've ever heard of. If there was such a beast, I'm sure it would drive the Bookshare staff to drink, with the number of changes that are frequently called for in the validation process. When the validater changes it, and the staff accepts it, it's the changed form that hits the library. That's why due caution should be exercised when using any type of automated tool to make changes.

Dave

At 08:31 PM 4/8/2007, you wrote:
I took someone's good advice on the list and downloaded, from the
validation queue, "The New American Militarism", by Bacevich.  The book's
insightful and well-written, errors are few, and it's already in RTF
format; however, the validator needs a little validation of his own.

With K1000 it's a fairly simple thing to clean up obvious scanning errors
such as "196os" for the decade, or even to replace nonsensical occurrences
of "zoo" where the intent seems to be "WW" as in "World War."  Am I going
overboard here?

On the one hand, it's well worth reading and might as well be corrected.
On the other, what if a combination such as "ZOO" is mis-diagnosed and was
right in the first place?

Are the scanned and the validated copies run through some kind of
comparator, just to make sure that a word like "Not" was inserted or
deleted?  Am I going way beyond the boundaries of the task at hand?

All thoughts welcome on this.  Otherwise, I"ll just edit and read to end,
then follow the prompts!--
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.  Managers know it must be
good
 because the programmers hate it so much.  Pax,Max.  <Mail to:
mswanson@xxxxxxxxxxx> or <swando99@xxxxxxxxx>