[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating the Validator

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:15:27 -0400

Hi Jim,

No unfortunately the Bookshare site isn't set up for partial validations. When you release a book the original submission is put back in the queue.

Dave

At 08:28 AM 4/10/2007, you wrote:
Hi,
When I validate, I try to read the entire book. It helps if I am interested
in the book.

I have a related question. When someone sends back a book, can they
partially validate it and have it go back to step one for someone else to
look at? I'm asking because I can tell that a book I got definitely has
some missing material, but I don't want to reject it because it is an
otherwise very clean book.

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme,
Usability Engineering
Highmark Inc.
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
412-544-8177

"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are right."

             "Grandma Cindy"
             <popularplace@yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating the
                                       Validator
             04/09/2007 09:04
             PM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

I had the impression from various posts that at least
some of the blind volunteers do get the book and
listen or follow in braille as they validate. Perhaps
I made a wrong assumption.

But yes, if one can't get the book and can't, from the
reading of the downloaded file, figure out the word
that's missing from the sentence, and there are a lot
of them, then, as someone else suggested, the book
should either be released for someone sighted to do,
preferably in my opinion, or be rejected. I know we
have some peopple on this list who are disabled in a
way that qualifies them but are sighted, and people
who have partial sight. But a lot of the time, if the
validator like Jim is reading the book file, the wrong
or missing word is obvious and can be filled in. The
book I'm doing now is like that. I don't really need
the physical book, though I do have it. In a sentence
I read last night the letter m stood for him, not
in--it was obvious from the context. And an earlier
sentence that contained the word rolling didn't make
sense to me, so I checked and it was supposed to be
strolling. If I'd left the people rolling along the
beach instead of strolling along the beach it probably
wouldn't have made too much difference. smile

It may be that a person who was an English or history
major and/or done a lot of general reading is more
attuned to sentences and sentence structure than, for
example, a person whose background is in math or
sciences; in that case perhaps filling in words based
on context or phraseolog wouldn't be as easy and the
book should be released.

Cindy