[bksvol-discuss] Re: Status of ALA Banned Books at Bookshare

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:09:39 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, no problem.  I love making lists, so it was fun for me to do.  I'm always
pushing the Bookshare Engineering team for more statistics about all the books
in the collection :-)

Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Wow!! That must have taken quite
a bit of time. BIg
thanks are due you, Carrie.

Cindy

--- Carrie Karnos wrote:

> e is excellent, g is good, f is fair, x is we
> don't have it yet.
>
> x Alvarez, Julie. How the Garcia Girls Lost Their
> Accents.
> x Ancona, George. Cuban Kids.
> e Angelou, Maya. I Know Why a Caged Bird Sings.
> e Atwood, Margaret. The Handmaid's Tale.
>
> x Baskin, Julia, Lindsey Newman, Sophia
> Politt-Cohen, and Courtney Toombs. The Notebook
> Girls. Warner Bks. Challenged, but retained at the
> Cape May County, NJ Library (2006). The book is
> comprised of the entries four New York City
> high-school students made in a shared journal in the
> aftermath of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
>
> x Bechdel, Alison. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic.
> x Birdseye, Tom. Attack of the Mutant Underwear.
> e Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451.
> x Bradbury, Ray. The Veldt.
> e Brown, Dan. The Da Vinci Code.
> e Burroughs, Augusten. Running With Scissors.
> x Chbosky, Stephen. The Perks of Being a
> Wallflower.
> e Chevalier, Tracey. Girl With a Pearl Earring.
> x Chomsky, Noam, and Edward S. Herman.
> Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the
> Mass Media.
> e Chopin, Kate. The Awakening.
>
> x Christensen, James C., Renwick St. James and
> Alan Dean Foster. Voyage of the Basset. Artisan.
> Retained in the Davis County, Utah Library (2006).
> The complainant objected to the book after her
> five-year-old son borrowed it from the children's
> section and showed her the illustrations it contains
> of topless mermaids and other partially clothes
> mythical creatures. The author is a retired Brigham
> Young University Art professor and cochair of the
> Mormon Arts Foundation.
>
> e Cormier, Robert. The Chocolate Wars.
> x Crutcher, Chris. Whale Talk.
> x de Haan, Linda and Stern Nijland. King & King.
> x Draper, Sharon M., and Adam Lowenbein. Romlette
> and Julio.
> x Eleveld, Mark, ed. The Spoken Word Revolution:
> Slam, Hip Hop & the Poetry of a New Generation.
> x Fogelin, Adrian. My Brother's Hero.
> x Frank, E.R. America.
> e Freedom Writers. The Freedom Writers Diary: How a
> Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change
> Themselves and the World Around Them.
> x Gaines, Ernest J. The Autobiography of Miss Jane
> Pittman.
> x Going, K.L. Fat Kid Rules the World.
> x Gordon, Sharon. Cuba.
> x Gravett, Paul. Manga: 60 Years of Japanese
> Comics.
> x Gray, Heather M., and Samantha Phillips. Real
> Girl/Real World: Tools for Finding Your True Self.
> x Green, Jonathon, comp. Cassell Dictionairy of
> Slang.
>
> x Hedayat, Sadegh. The Blind Owl. Grove Pr. The
> widely acclaimed Iranian classic, written in the
> 1930's, was banned in Iran (2006). "The new
> government intends to take positive steps for
> reviving neglected values and considering religious
> teachings in the cultural field."
>
> x Hedges, Peter. What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
> [...]

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.