[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT A project

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:33:53 -0400

Dear Jane,

While writing to Jim with my congratulations on that huge grant, I was decorating your mystery tree in another compartment of my mind. Meanwhile, Cindy and Allison gave you some great ideas. It takes lots of ornaments to decorate a tree, so I was thinking of which reminders of Mark Twain you could make en masse.

The picket fence idea would be an easy one. With glue, craft sticks (popsicle sticks), permanent markers and white paint, you could easily make fences. With the markers you could distress and write graffiti on the bare stick fences, and you could paint others white to varying degrees from one board painted to the whole fence bright white.

The comet would have been my top suggestion. My students used to play with ball comets. They were those little, super, hard, bouncy balls with long streamers. They made thrilling sights shooting across the room but made some disastrous landings and more than one comet flinger got in trouble when their comet destroyed valuables or gave a bystander a nasty knock.

For your tree, Styrofoam balls with curly ribbon streamers. of different colors, especially fiery colors, or shiny metallic's, would make gorgeous, dramatic, ornaments. When you curl the ribbons, they'll make neat looking comet tails and be attractive and decorative at the same time. Christmas tensile for the tails would be pretty, too.

If I can help with crafty tips, contact me off list, or If you think I can make what you have in mind, I'd try and put together sample ornaments and mail them to you, and then send more if it would help, Even better, do you have family a committee or lots of time and energy to get the tree decorated?

My e-mail address is

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd better hush my mouth. My teacherliness is showing.

Always with love,

Lissi