[bksvol-discuss] Re: ScanToOffice and Word

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:08:28 -0500

Hi Denise. I always add a page number to chapter pages that don't have one.
I do this because the Bookshare software could mess up the page numbering
without it. As for section breaks, there is a fast and easy way to convert
those to page breaks. I only know how to do this from the keyboard, so
please forgive me for being mouse challenged. ;)

First, please back up your file to another folder so you'll have your
original if anything goes wrong. This is the voice of some pretty
frustrating experiences speaking. (grin) Then we can get to work on your
file.

Press control h to bring up the search and replace box. In the first field
where it wants to know what you're searching for type ^b and in the box that
says replace with type ^m and then tab over to the replace all button and
press enter. That will give you page breaks where your section breaks used
to be.

Occasionally some OCR software puts both a page break and section break at
the same place. If that's the case, follow the first part of the
instructions above but leave the replace with box completely empty. Word
will delete those pesky section breaks when you choose the replace all
button. ^b is a section break, and ^m is a page break. You can also use this
search and replace box to put a blank line at the bottom of each page if you
like. To do this, do a search for ^m and replace it with ^p^m for quick
results. ^p is a paragraph mark and puts a blank line into the document. So
^p^m puts a blank line and a page break together instead of just a plain
page break.

You asked about the teasers in books. That's totally up to you. I include
them when they scan well. If they don't, I don't spend any time trying to
make them work. They aren't core content, so we don't have to keep them. I
like to because I think other people are as curious as I am about other
books in a series or by an author. It's really your choice.

I don't have ScanToOffice and can't help you very much there. I wish I
could. Is it a product from FineReader?

I really appreciate all of your questions and hard work. Volunteers like you
make Bookshare and its list such a nice place to be.

Monica Willyard

  _____