[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scan that is missing paragraph marks

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

I've validated several books like that recently. I
think what happens is that the submitters globally
replace the end-of-line markers that are paragraph
symbols without realizing that they're deleting the
ones that belong there.

I've chosen to validate rather than reject because I
felt the books were worth being in the
collection--they weren't just light reading--and I
doubted whether anyone would rescan. I did find, after
a little experience, that it was easy to make the
paragraphs while reading the books because there was
not space between the period ending one sentence and
the first word of the next sentence. it wasn't
necessary to check with the book itself any more.

But that's just me and the particular books I was
validating. As Jake says, you're within your rights to
reject it--and maybe the submitter has the original
copy with the paragraph breaks and can more carefully
delete the end-of-line paragraph marks.

G.Cindy
--- Jake Brownell <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Judy,
>
> We do expect that paragraphs will be delineated in
> books. We really couldn't
> claim high quality if the book was a single
> paragraph. It sometimes happens
> that OCR will miss a paragraph break here and there,
> which is fine; however,
> asking a validator to separate every paragraph is a
> *lot* more time
> consuming than just rescanning the book, so you have
> excellent grounds for
> rejection.
>
> Jake

AVAILABLE AT