[bksvol-discuss] Question on how braille and screen readers handle roman numerals

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 02:05:55 -0500

Hi all,

I'm proofreading a book that is discussing types of muscle fibers in athletes. Apparently there are two kinds of muscle fibers. The technical name for them is "type one" and "type two." However, that is written as t-y-p-e space I, where the I is denoting a roman numeral one, and t-y-p-e space I-I, where the I-I is denoting a roman numeral two.

Do roman numerals when used this way within a sentence, not as page numbering or as outline numbers, translate into braille and with a screen reader as roman numerals, or do they translate as the letter "I" and the letters "I-I" instead of as "one" and "two"?

If they translate as the letter "i" is there anything any of you do to make it clear that it's supposed to be roman numerals?

Thanks!

Judy s.