[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on how braille and screen readers handle roman numerals

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:53:59 -0400

For that matter, they always appear as the letter I in print too and you know that they are Roman numerals by context too.

On 10/15/2012 7:57 AM, Sue Stevens wrote:

Hi Judy,

It would look like Type I and Type II. They are actually translated as the letter I, but we just know they are Roman Numerals because of the context. Write them the way I did, and that is how we would do them. Roman numerals are always translated as letters in Braille.

Hope that helps,

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Judy s.
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 2:05 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Question on how braille and screen readers handle roman numerals

Hi all,

I'm proofreading a book that is discussing types of muscle fibers in
athletes.  Apparently there are two kinds of muscle fibers.  The
technical name for them is "type one" and "type two." However, that is
written as t-y-p-e space I, where the I is denoting a roman numeral one,
and t-y-p-e space I-I, where the I-I is denoting a roman numeral two.

Do roman numerals when used this way within a sentence, not as page
numbering or as outline numbers, translate into braille and with a
screen reader as roman numerals, or do they translate as the letter "I"
and the letters "I-I" instead of as "one" and "two"?

If they translate as the letter "i" is there anything any of you do to
make it clear that it's supposed to be roman numerals?

Thanks!

Judy s.

-----
No virus found in this message.