[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question for everyone: What makes you reject a book?

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 01:36:15 -0600

Hi Judy S.!

If I didn't find a cheap copy of "And Then There Were Two", I would have had to reject it, because there were several pages missing here and there and a good number of scanos. If I didn't spend a good deal of time on it, i would have rejected it, but I like the story, so I have to find out how it ends, since the text just stops in the middle of a page and the next probably 5 or 6 pages to the end of the book maybe, though I don't know for sure, are all x's down the pages in a column.

I haven't released a book yet, but I would if I found that the subject matter bored me or if something was going on in my life that needed my attention or sapped my energy so that I couldn't work on a book.

I haven't scanned since the new web site was in place when the volunteer system was changed to the present form rather than just being able to upload a scan in a proprietary file format of ARK that is the OPenBook file format, my OCR software of choice.

Debby

At 02:02 PM 12/24/2009, Judy s. wrote
These are just some curiosity questions for me, as of course there aren't any "right" answers. smile.

I'm curious about what makes us decide, as proofreaders, to reject a book? Also, what makes us decide to release a book? And for scanners, are there any kind of circumstances that made you feel someone who was proofreading unfairly rejected your scan?

For myself, I try to use the following rule of thumb: I reject a book if I think it will take more time to fix it than rescan it. That's pretty subjective, of course. For example, I'm willing to spend a lot of time working on a book that was obviously hard to scan that had problems, such as being full of tables or weird fonts that didn't scan, or almost too huge to fit on a scanner. I'm also more likely to spend extra time on a book that the scanner warned me had a specific problem that they couldn't fix and needed help with.

I'm likely to rject a book that has all kinds of problems that the scanner could have spent a little time adjusting their scan to take care of that is ordinarly straightforward. On those types, I usually ask some of the experienced scanners for their opinion, too, on how hard it would have been to correct that problem while scanning, before rejecting such a book.

I'm also much more likely to reject a book if it's been in the checkout list for at least six months, and I find in the history that at least three other proofreaders have checked out the book prior to me and then released it. Usually, but not always, that's a sign that there's a real problem with the scan. Often I can actually find the problem and fix it, because I've found there are visual cues to the solution that I suspect are really hard for a blind proofreader to find. However, it does make me a tad more likely to reject such a scan.

As an aside, I've realized that it's much more likely for a blind proofreader to find certain scanning errors than I am. The substitution of the numeral one for a capital I for example, isn't at all obvious to me as a sighted proofreader unless I set up my fonts to one that presents capital I's as very different in appearance than ones. In most fonts, they are virtually identical in appearance!

On releasing a book, I'm likely to release it right away if I find that it just isn't my cup of tea. I've also released books that need a sighted proofreader who actually needs a copy of the book in front of them. Sometimes google books or Amazon has the book in images, and I can do that. Also, some of the volunteers who scan keep their original images of the pages, and in those cases they can just email me the page images I need and I can figure out problems. Then there are books that have layouts that scanned beautifully, like tons of sidebars and tables (for example, the Dummies books) that for the life of me I can't figure out how to translate into something that makes sense easily, or that are just too hard for me to manipulate with my voice driven software.

So, what makes you decide to reject a book? What makes you decide to release a book? And for you scanners, when have you felt a book was rejected when it should have been accepted? smile.

Judy s.

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>