[bksvol-discuss] Re: Problem with OpenBook

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:39:45 -0600

Hi Evan,
    OpenBook unstable? that's the understatement of the year. Unfortunately its
architecture has not been maintained in today's computing environments.

I strongly recommend saving as an ARK file until you are ready to submit the
book, at which time you should go ahead and do the conversion. It's always a
good idea to keep things in a programs native format, less issues can arise in
use that way. BTW That's what I've always done and I haven't ever experienced
the coding issue first hand.

As Grace said you can attempt to launch the file into Word or WordPad and save
as an RTF file there.

I can send/post along instructions for using OpenBook with JAWS if you think
you might be interested. It'll generally stop the IBM TTS crashes that can
sometimes be quite numerous. OB will still crash more than you'd like, but at
least its a partial improvement.

HTH,
Jake