[bksvol-discuss] Re: Preaching to the choir?

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:05:29 -0400

Hi Mickey. I think it would be nice for Bookshare to ask new volunteers to
join the list for a couple of weeks as they get their feet wet. I think
requiring it would scare off some people who aren't comfortable taking on
another stack of email. We do have some new volunteers who don't join the
list but who do read the manual carefully. I'd like to see Bookshare beef up
the volunteer manual and make an interactive tutorial that each volunteer,
new and old, would go through once to make sure we all have the same
knowledge. After all, both of the jiffy proofreaders mentioned this weekend
have been volunteers for a long time. If I had a nickel for every time a
long-time volunteer has sent me a message starting out with "I haven't read
the manual but," I could take a Hawaiian vacation. I know one volunteer who
still thinks that Bookshare subtracts credits from our account if a book is
rejected. He or she posts anonymously on a message board, so I have no
direct way to contact the person to set them straight.

Monica Willyard