[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Breaks in txt files

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:12:44 -0600

Are you trying to put a page break in your E-mail message?  If that is
what you were trying, it won't work just because it is an E-mail
message. :-) Page breaks aren't relevant to E-mail since sending them
messes up every line anyway.

As Kellie explained, not every Word processor respects page breaks in
text files.  Word can make them in a text file, but they will usually be
lost when the document is saved as text.  In most programs, on the PC at
least, a page break can be made by pressing control-enter.  Notepad will
retain page breaks, but it will not create them.  Kurzweil wil both
create and retain them.

When you say one screen reader works to read page breaks but the other
doesn't at times, are you unloading one and loading the other to test
reading in the document without closing and reopening the document?  I
was just wondering if closing and reopening is what causes them to
disappear not the screen reader being used.
There also may be a difference because the screen reader may actually be
reading the character codes that make the page break or could be
announcing the change of pages based on the page number in the status
line changing.  It depends on screen reader settings and on the settings
for what to display in the Word processor.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity