[bksvol-discuss] Obscure books

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:55:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi Robin,

  My opinion is that being able to prioritize which books to work on sooner
rather than later is VERY important.  Yes, we certainly need some obscure
books, but there are some obscure good books and a huge, huge number of obscure
bad books.  I'm all for processing the former, but hesitate on  the latter
because they're not going to be of much benefit to their readers.  If someone
has an obscure book in their collection, then they've enjoyed it and by all
means, it should be added to our collection.  What I'm trying to do is cut down
the number of books that no one will ever read, with exceptions.  I just
submitted I and Thou by Martin Buber.  Chances are that no one will read it,
but it's a classic book on philosophy and that alone makes it worthwhile to be
added to the collection IMHO.  Maybe someday a philosophy student will read it,
or maybe not. Who knows?

  The reason I'm saying all this is because there are a large number of bad
obscure books sitting on the shelves at the Bookshare office, that we've been
ignoring for years.  I glance through them occasionally to see if I recognize
any authors but I usually end up processing books that members have sent into
the office instead.  They of course are higher priority.

  Carrie

Robin Mandell <robinmandell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I know I'm coming in late on this thread, so if I'm not understanding the
quesiton at hand correctly, I appologize. While I see the benefit of
knowing which books are more popular with bookshare.org subscribers, I
would not want to see a decline in submissions of less popular
books. Understanding the numbers might help us prioritize books,
especially books in a series as Mike pointed out. One of the nice things
about bookshare, though, is that one can find some of the more obscure
books which people contribute from their own personal collections.

At 05:30 AM 09/01/2006, you wrote:
>Mike,
> Of course, but this one I think falls lower on the priorities. Things
> like the submission form I would rather see updated first.
>
>And as you said a while back, this type of data Benetech might not want to
>release.
>
>Jake
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pietruk"

>Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:21 PM
>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Number of books
>

>>And so we did on CompuServe.
>>It really gave us a good feel of files people wanted and which just took
>>up space.
>>As a submitter, I wonder which books are valued by the customers and which
>>just are there.
>>This type of info would also be useful in deciding whether scanning other
>>books in a series warranted the time commitment.
>>

>>To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list
>>of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.
>>

>>--

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
 Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!