[bksvol-discuss] OT: children and learning

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:30:11 -0800 (PST)

Y&es, it does depend on the child and the child's
interest--and, as you point out, the parent's
interest. I didn't push the children but made a game
of identifying letters when they were young, which
they were happy to play. When we went for a wlak or
drive and I saw a large letter on a sign, or on a
store sign, I'd ask what it was and they gleefully
told me. But a friend's child the same age who was
walking with us one day had no interest in such a
game. Children will learn at their own speed if they
want to. Some can learn faster than others, and I also
found out that some things are developmental, e.g., it
takes longer for a child do create a slanting line, in
order to make the capital letter w or v, than to make
a straight line, e. g. for an capital H. I also found
out, a grade later, that even if a child can count by
fives, telling time takesmore development. I learned a
lot of things about children's development watching
what my kids, and other kids when I volunteered in the
classroom, could learn and when.

Cindy

--- "Gail The U. S. Male" <gail1959@xxxxxxxxxxx>